Now they are big. And, well they just aren't cute anymore. I am grateful for the eggs they give us. Grateful that I am able to work outside more. (Really I like to work outside, lots more than in the house.)
A problem we have with these older chickens is that they are mean. I think it is because David needs a dog to play rough with. He played rough with the chickens, they are mean. He is learning and I am so glad that he can be taught. This will prepare us for the day that we do get a dog. So we can have a nice dog.
So thankfully they are chickens and they can and will nourish us. I still have a hard time thinking of killing our own meat. Pa will do that and then we will can it. We will let it sit for a while so we can forget a little bit. Then we won't be so grossed out when we cook up the pets.
This will take place when our baby chickens start laying eggs. That should be in another 2 or 3 months.
The kids are excited to "kill" the chickens because we told them we could get more babies when the older ones are gone.
Then Emma goes out today to get an egg. One of the chickens was in the nest laying an egg. Emma goes in the coop and the chicken stood up and gently pushed the egg over to Emma with her beak. Emma was so excited that the chicken would be so nice. I am very impressed with the chicken. However we don't want to make relationships with the birds right when we decided to have them for dinner. -Ma
2 comments:
Well if that's not a lesson on the circle of life, I don't know what is! :) I grew up eating the cows we raised (granted we didn't butcher them ourselves:) and I'm not scarred for life so I'm sure your kids will get over the idea of eating their pets. :) Plus, chicken that you raise yourself tastes SO much better! Your kids are really lucky. Someday they will look back and be so grateful for the sacrifices you & Matt are making and the hard work you are putting in so that they can have these experiences. I know I am. :)
LOL I think that chicken was on to your plans and is trying to buy herself some pardon. I do hope things go smoothly with your plans so that no one gets traumatized with killing chickens. I grew up learning how to clean a chicken for cooking but not the butchering part. Good luck!
Post a Comment