Tuesday, May 19, 2009

That's Weird!


Yesterday I looked out our kitchen window and noticed that all the "big" chickens were in the coop.  Just sitting there.  I thought it was odd because they don't just sit in the coop.  Unless they are sleeping or laying an egg.  I thought it was strange but that was it.  I didn't feel the need to go into the heat to find out what they were doing.

When Pa got home he wondered how many eggs we got that day.  I don't think anyone checked. So he went out.

We have a chicken that we call No Tail.  Because the other chickens pick on her so much she doesn't have a tail from all of their pecking.  Our plan as you know from a previous post was to butcher all of the big ones in the near future.

Well No Tail past away yesterday.  Not sure why, it didn't look like there was any foul play she was in a corner by a bail of straw.  Big Mama, one of the chickens, she was the nicest to her. She just sat there by No Tail.  After we disposed of No Tail, Big Mama went and sat where No Tail was, then she went in and sat in the coop where No Tail would sleep.

The kids dealt with it fine.  Emma wanted to call her Friend Megan.  David wanted to look and touch No Tail (I let him for closure purposes.).  Abby said in a cute sad voice as she handed me the telephone, "Mom, can I call Grandma Norgard?"  She did and they talk for quite some time. Then all of the other kids talked with her too.  I am thankful to have a Mom who takes the time to talk with her grand kids.  They sure do love her. -Ma

2 comments:

Chandy said...

Oh, that's so sad... I'm glad that you gave your children a chance to mourn No Tail. I think that's healthy for them to go through and your mom is wonderful for helping ease their feelings.

I hope you got some eggs...

Lara Neves said...

Interesting how the chickens dealt with it...especially Big Mama.