For Christmas this year I really wanted to make it Christ centered. I always want to make it Christ centered but this Christmas more so because we can't afford presents for the kids and I wanted them to know the true meaning of Christmas.
So, we put together a Christ centered tree using an advent calendar.
It turned out to be truly rewarding.
This is our tree after our project was complete.
Last year my Mom made this advent calender for me.
It is a muffin tin with cut out and decorated magnets covering each muffin hole.
The magnets were originally made for the larger muffins but all I had was a small muffin tin containing 24 spaces. It works, however I would suggest using the larger muffin tin because you will have lots more room.
Here are a couple spots uncovered.
Our tree empty...
1st night: Fir Tree: Evergreen--the second color of Christmas shows everlasting life. The needles point heavenward.
Okay, tilt your head till I can figure out how to rotate this:
2nd night: Red: The first color of Christmas symbolizing the Saviors Sacrifice for all.
3rd night: Candy cane: The shepherd's crook used to bring lambs back into the fold. --A reminder that we are all our brothers keeper.
4th night: Bells: Rings out to guide lost sheep back to the fold. --signifying that all are precious in the eyes of the lord.
5th night: Wreath: A symbol of the never ending eternal nature of love... having no beginning and no end.
6th night: Gift bow: Tied together in bonds of goodwill forever.
7th night: Lights/candle: A mirror of starlight reflecting our thanks for the Star of Bethlehem. Helaman 14:3,4
8th night: Animals: Luke 2:7
9th night: Mary and Joseph: Luke 2:4
10th night: Christ was born: Luke 2:7
11th night: Angels: Luke 2:13,14
12th night: Shepherds and sheep: Luke 2:7-17
13th night: The Star: Matthew 2:2 and Helaman 14:5
14th night: Three wise men: Matthew 2:1,11
Other nights I would have us do service for others like,
Go
caroling,
make cookies
and take to others.
We would also,watch a
movie together, tell each other
why you love them, go to kids school
Christmas program, go to church party.
There are so many things that can be done.
I am not sure I like how I have it set up, however
we will be continuing this tradition next year and I
am
sure I will change some
things with it next year.
We had a wonderful Christmas.
I hope I can write more
before this little baby comes.
1 comment:
Cool idea! I realized reading this that I forgot about this advent calendar this year. Whoops!
Post a Comment