Sunday, April 19, 2009

Dairy Farm


The Dairy Farm had a practically free admissions day about a month ago and we took advantage of it.  The kids had tons of fun.  They got to pet the goat. 


We got to see some interesting looking chickens.  We discussed getting more chickens, because it would be soooo cooool to have a chicken lay a green egg.  Maybe later.


The kids had fun in the straw maze.


Neat car.


Tractors are always fun.


We went on a hay ride to see what a dairy farm is all about.  I really liked that part the most.


They were asking everyone to squeeze on and sit back to back.  When we do family outings I tend to get really up tight, I worry about the kids staying close, I worry about all of the safety stuff, etc. etc.  So, by the time we went to sit down at the hay ride I had just had a DAY.  The lady behind me was not leaving much room for anyone.  She was sitting all the way back with the back of her knees touching the hay.  So, I think I said something like, "Can ya scoot a bit, so I can sit down too?"  She gave me a disturbing look and moved a tad.  By the end of the ride my leg muscles hurt from keeping myself from falling.  Oh well, we survived.  :o)


I think the cows liked that the kids couldn't touch them.


Ohhhh and this was cool.  They showed us a smaller version of a cotton mill.  I don't know if that is what it is called, but it separates the cotton from the seeds. 






We learned about the order of planting a seed, the kids made bracelets to help them remember.
They also planted a cotton seed and it grew quite well, I just didn't follow threw with it.


All the different things in the ground.


Pa and Jacob outside the maze.  Right behind the wheel in a crack in the bales of hay there were probably 15 or more eggs.  I think we should call and let them know they are missing out on some eggs.  hehe



Fun memories. -Ma


2 comments:

Chandy said...

Jenny, what a fun day you all had! Jasmine's 1st grade class went there, about 3 years ago and yes, most of the parents that came were not happy with the hay seating choices. I had to make sure Jasmine hung on the whole time. It wasn't fun for me, but the rest of the tour was great!

Lexi said...

wow, that looks really fun and i bet you learned so much!