Thursday, July 9, 2009

Sunflowers


Once Upon a Time...

We planted some sunflower seeds hoping we would get 8 to 10 foot sunflowers. The excitement was there, but something was lacking.  Water or fertilizer or maybe the soil was just wrong?

However it turned out pretty.  It was fun to look at.  Love the yellow!  The stem however was the size of a pencil.  Poor flower.  But still beautiful.


Some of the sunflowers were meant to be small bushy ones and oh did they look glorious right in front of the corn.


I will let you know, something else really liked them too.  Oh, are they hard to see in the above photo?


How about now?  Can you see one munching and one flying?


I bet you can see the little beauty now?


Ya, I think he is smiling here.


And going in for a big bite!  Yummy!!


My poor flowers were once so beautiful!  But now, well you can see what those wild parrots have done!

Oh well they sure are fun to watch.  Last year our flowers grew about 5 1/2 to 6 foot tall.  The parrots and the ants ate them.  Last year it was really fun to watch the parrots eat the seeds because the chickens would wait under the flower and eat what ever the parrots would drop. Fun times!!  -Ma

1 comment:

Christine said...

I've never heard of wild parrots! That's kind of neat, even if they did eat your poor flowers!