Friday, January 1, 2010

It's a Talent

I am sure this happens to ALL of us at some time or another.

I get to a point where I just feel like I am not good at ANYTHING!!  It really is a sad feeling.

I can't dance.

I can't play the piano, or any musical instrument.

I can't keep myself or my kids on a schedule.

For some reason, I get on this "I can't" kick every now and then and just feel very useless.

Then one day I went out Visiting Teaching.  I get to visit with a wonderful lady who is in her 80's.  She considers herself to be homebound.  She is just so cheery and positive and just wonderful to be around.

So, I was visiting with her and telling her how I seem to get along with those that are older then me.  And that I really like that, because I am able to learn so much from them.  I told her that I have been blessed with being able to learn from other people's mistakes and have no desire to make the same mistake.  I was telling her how grateful I am that Heavenly Father has blessed me with this.

She then said, "It's a talent".

I looked at her with tears in my eyes and said, "do you really think so?"

She said, "Oh yes, I know so.  It is a talent!"

The more I think about it, it is a talent.  What a blessing it is to have such a wonderful talent.  It is also such a blessing that she pointed this out to me.

So what if I "can't" do the things that usually take some kind of training.  I have been blessed, I have talents.

I know that there are hidden talents that we all have, we just need to find them, recognize them and use them.

5 comments:

Gini said...

It's great she could see this and give you a lift. It's weird that those who have the 'outward' talents will also get discouraged. I know a gal who had an exceptional voice. Her thoughts were always, "It's not as good as my brother's." Ho hum, I wish I could sing like her, but am satisfied with the voice I have.

Lara Neves said...

I hate the "i can't" kicks. I go on them way too often.

I love having people like that who can point out the more obscure (and more important, in my opinion) talents.

Christine said...

Oh, I'm so glad she told you that. It's nice when somebody's there to make it all better.
Another talent you have is leaving nice comments that make me smile. You're so encouraging, and I think you're a neat person. It's fun to have neat people say such nice things to me. :)

Lexi said...

Gosh I feel like you so often! I wish someone would point out a talent to me!

DiAnna said...

I agree with your previous comment. You always uplift those around you, especially me! I know that I am a better person because I know you!