Wednesday, September 24, 2008

We live on an ant hill

When we moved into our house 4 years ago next month. Ants would come into our home, we would have ants in the master bedroom closet, the second bedroom, the hall bathroom, the laundry room, the living room, and of course the kitchen. After two years of being at war with these yucky tiny biting things we found Home Defense. This stuff works great to keep the ants out.

We have been keeping the ants out of the house, had only one attack this year (so far). Last year we didn't have any ants in the house.

This morning I went out to water the garden and I noticed that there are a lot more ants out today. Was bit 3 times this morning. Jacob was bit at least twice if not more.

Now this is crazy... I was just out at 3:30 pm. keeping the chickens out of the garden. Kids followed, a normal habit they have. Jacob likes to go into the coop and he was being attacked by these tiny creatures, so I brought him in washed of his feet and proceeded to put on itch cream. Just as I was finishing up I hear Abby screaming, the scream was saying that she had ants on her.

I ran out to save Abby and saw that she had at least 30 ants on her feet and the bottoms of her pants, it looked like someone splashed her with mud, there were black spots all over her. I strip off her pants and tried to bravely brush off the ants. Then I notice she is scratching at her neck, so I strip of her shirt and panties. Put her in the bath to wash off any other ants that I did not see then I went to put on some itch cream. I begin to count, 6 on one hand and wrist. Then down to her feet and legs, 19 bites. She is scratching her neck, 20 bites. Look at her back, 21 bites!!! Then on top her her head was a little black ant crawling around, squished it with my fingers... because I am a good brave mom!

Can we ever get rid of these pesky little things? I thought the chickens would help, they like bugs right??? No, it seems the problem is worse.

Anyone have an anteater to loan out? Might need it for a few months.

This is funny... Pa put gasoline down a couple ant hills and sent them on fire. Didn't seem to phase them, they just moved over a little.

We tried so many different things but we are open for suggestions.?. -Ma

2 comments:

Lara Neves said...

I have no suggestions. We seem to live on an anthill, too. We use the Home Defense, and it makes a difference in the house, but short of calling an exterminator, I don't know what to do about the outdoor issues.

I love that you have chickens!

Anonymous said...

Yuck! Ants are difficult to get rid of.

Don't know if you've tried this...Paul takes Borax and sugar (50/50), mixed with water to make a paste, and places it in a small container around each mound (leave for a couple days). He says it works really well - but you do have to watch kids and animals around it.