Last week was a crazy one. Every time I would sit down to write my talk or study it the kids would go from peacefully playing to war zone or I would hear I'm hungry over and over again. Or after studying for a while I would be feeling the spirit really strongly of where I was going to go with my talk and then the kids would start interrupting again. The spirit would run and I felt like I was back at square one again.
My talk went well. Afterwards I had people coming up to me and saying how great it was. A sister that visit teaches me said, "I didn't know you had that in you. That was really wonderful." I had more hugs than I am comfortable with. And I couldn't shake off the raw nerves that I felt after giving the talk for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours after I was done giving the talk. It sure did take a lot out of me. But it is over and I am so glad that it is.
I have been contemplating whether or not I should post my talk here. I just figure I will, this is like a journal and if you choose to read it fine and if not fine. :o) So, here it is.
When I was asked to speak on the talk "Born Again" given by Elder Christofferson. My first thought was, "Born Again"? That isn't a topic for my church! However, a General Authority spoke on it so it must be important. It must be something that we need to hear or something that we need to be reminded of.
I quickly went to google to look up the words, "Born Again". The definition was given, "In Christianity, Born Again means rebirth-namely, spiritual rebirth into a family of God with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior."
In John chapter 3 Jesus is telling Nicodemus that men must be born again. In verse 5 we read, "Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born of water and of the spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom or God."
How do we et to the point of wanting to be "born again"?
After High School I cam to a point in my life where I needed to choose between getting married or serve a mission. As a youth I never thought I would need to make this choice. I always thought I would be married before the age of 21. There were two young men asking for my hand in marriage, but it just did not feel right. I spent a lot of time on my knees asking what I should do. What does Heavenly Father want me to do? I had a very clear answer that I needed to serve a mission. At first I didn't have the desire to be there, my heart was still at home. I needed to plant a seed or the desire in my heart and let it grow.
This is how it is with Faith and Testimony. In Alma 32 Alma speaks of "planting a seed inot our hearts and if it is a true seed or a good seed it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves-it must needs be that his is a good seed or that the word is good."
Many times this is all we need to start our journey to rebirth.
Elder Christofferson stated, "As promised, the Lord baptizes us with fire and with the Holy Ghost: Nephi phrased it this way: "For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost" having thus relied upon the merits of Him who is mighty to save we are quickened in the inner man, and if not yet fully born again, then certainly well into the path of spiritual rebirth."
Once we have the seed planted we then take the next step in being baptized or reborn as member of our spiritual family.
However that is not the end, we are not saved by grace alone but by work also.
In 2 Nephi 25 verse 23 we read, "for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."
Watching my children grow I can see how our mistakes and trials can make us better.
After my kids sit in time out for misbehaving we talk about what was done wrong and how they can be better. Then we say lets try again. They get excited to try and be better, and leave feeling food about themselves.
C.S. Lewis wrote,
"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently, He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to makes sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of --throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards, You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace."
Heavenly Father crated each of us, he knows what we are capable of. Lets rise up and do as he asks.
Elder Christofferson said, "Being born again, unlike our physical birth, is more a process than an even. And engaging in that process is the central purpose of mortality."
Heavenly Father knows what we can become.
Elder Nelson said, "The development of faith in the Lord is an individual matter. Repentance is also and individual matter. Only as an individual can one be baptized and receive the Holy Ghost. Each of us is born individually; likewise, each of us is "born again" individually. Salvation is an individual matter."
He goes on to say, "Individual progression is fostered in the family."
We as a family can help each other return to our Heavenly Father.
In Mosiah chapter 18 Alma is preaching to the people he said, "there shall be no contentions one with another, but that they should look forward with one eye, having one faith and one baptism, having their hearts knit together in unity and in love one towards another."
As we focus outwardly and loose ourselves in service to others we become more like our savior.
I think of my mother. when she was 16 a friend of hers invited her to hear about the teachings of the church. She joined the church. She didn't get much support from her family, however she did get the support that was needed from church members, her spiritual family.
I am thankful for my mother who taught me how important it is to press forward and endure to the end. Even if times are tough.
I like what Elder Christofferson said. It was Jesus who stated that entry into the kingdom of God requires that one be born again-born of the water and of the spirit. His teachings about a physical and spiritual baptism helps us understand that both our own actions and the intervention of divine power are needed for this transformative rebirth-for the change from natural man to saint. Paul described being born agin with this simple expression: "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature."
While on my mission I had a testimony I knew as I know now that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, I knew that he was chosen to restore Christ's church her on Earth. I knew the Book of Mormon was true. Yet I still had a shaky testimony. And I am sure my testimony still has growing to do.
It was November 1996 I was unsure about the general authorities. Were they really call of God?
I picked up the General Conference edition of the Ensign. opened it up to the center fold. I looked at the pictures of all of those great men. The spirit came over me in a way that I have never felt before. I knew from that moment on that they are called of God. They were sent here to help us on our path to eternal life, to help us change from natural man to saint.
I would like to take a moment to tell my husband, the father of my children how much I love him. How grateful I am that our Heavenly Father brought us together. I am grateful for my sweet children and all that they are.
I am thankful for my father, thankful that he helps me be a better person.
I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father. Thankful that he sent his son to be my Savior. I know that our Heavenly Father loves us. I know that he is close to each of us, to help us along our paths here on earth, I feel his closeness every day and I am thankful for that.
I know that as we strive to change our lives, to be born again we will be blessed in more ways then we thought possible.
I can't remember where but somewhere in there I said, "I like what our old stake president said, "If it is important to you, then it is important to your Heavenly Father." I love this quote I just had to add here. -Ma
1 comment:
AWESOME job, Jenny! I wish I could have been there to hear it in person. You are such a great example! Thanks for sharing your talk. :)
Post a Comment