When I was in high school I was very, or should I say terribly shy. I was so shy that if someone looked at me just the wrong or right way, I could feel a burning in my face and I knew that I either had to get out of the room or make my blond hair drop in front of my face before the redress could be seen by others.
It never worked (covering up my blushing). I would get stares, people would say mean things that would make it even harder to get rid of that burning feeling. Even if someone said something nice to me I would turn RED.
So, when it came time to start driving, I got to learn on a VW Van. Yes, I think most everyone out there would say and think, "that is soooo cool!!!"
No it isn't! Not when you are soooo shy!!!
(This is a photo from some else, hope they don't mind me borrowing it.)
The van that I drove looked very much like the one pictured. It was a standard. I remember my mom taking me out to the steepest hill in Prescott Valley. She would have me stop midway up the hill and then try to go again without it sliding back down the hill. This hill was dirt, and I slid many times. And to top it all off I had a guy friend that wasn't afraid to tease me about things like this who lived close to this hill.
Well, I learned to drive it and I had to take it to school.
Oh, the looks I got. The peace signs that were thrown my way. I felt like the seat wasn't close enough to the steering wheel so I would sit away from the seat leaning into the steering wheel, those teenagers laughed about that.
Can you see the humiliation I was going through. I felt like it was torture!
But it wasn't it was just a good learning experience. Maybe it was to help me learn how to control my red face problem. I don't know. I laugh about it now.
So, the point is. I was having flashbacks when Pa wanted to get a big van. Thinking that we would get lots of looks. Starting to feel the face go red.
But then we got it. People looked... a lot. But it hasn't bothered me. I feel like I am a cool individual with style!
We were out driving the other day in the BIG Van and we would see others in BIG Vans they wave, smile, and my favorite they stare with big grins on their faces. You know what they are thinking. (That is soooo COOL!)
Pa said, "I like being in the van club." Then he went on to say, "The people are nice."

1 comment:
I loved this story. Hooray for the van club! :) Our bishop tells us his favorite car they ever had was a huge 16-passenger van. Sweet!
Post a Comment