Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Progress Report for Emma

Emma is doing so well in school.  At the beginning of the year she struggled, and she still struggles a little, but I think she is just doing great!

On a scale of Good, Average and Having Difficulty this is how she did,

Reading Good
Spelling Good 94%
Phonogram Good 97%
Math Average 87.1%
Language Having Difficulty 84%  She has a hard time knowing what words to use in sentences.  ie, she will say her instead of she.

These are graded as Outstanding, Satisfactory and Needs Improvement

Penmanship Outstanding
Homework Outstanding
Conduct Outstanding

Teachers Reply, 

Emma has done a great job bringing up her math grade.  She is having difficulty with some of the language concepts.  She is a great student!  :o)

I am so proud of Emma, she has worked so hard and continues to do so well.  We fought so much at the beginning of the year trying to get homework done, it would take hours.  But then I changed the time when I would ask her to do her homework.  Now it is right after dinner or while I am making dinner.  She gets it done in 20 minutes.  Yea Emma!  I love you! -Ma  
 

4 comments:

Laura Nyman said...

I'm interested in how you figured out how homework time could go smoother. Why is the new time better?

Jenny said...

Great question.
When Emma gets home she really needs down time. Her Papa knew this before me. But being the stubborn person that I am, I fought the time. I wanted Emma to get home have a snack and get her homework done, first thing!!

That just caused us to fight. I was yelling she was yelling and the whole house was a miserable mess.

1st I contacted her teacher, and asked if this was normal and if she had any ideas of how to help Emma.

Her teacher was shocked that Emma, such a well behaved little girl could act in such a manner. (At school she does what she is told, no questions asked. Glad I don't have to worry about that.)

Teachers ideas were, tell her if she gets her homework done then she could go to the park or she could have something in return. Tried that before the teacher mentioned it and it did not work.

I asked the teacher if she could just show up at school and not have her homework done then she could have a consequence there. She said fine.

Then I talked with Emma. I told her that I loved her and that I did not want to fight with her. I told her that I didn't care if she got her homework done at home because I wanted to spend fun time with her. I told her that if she didn't get her homework done that she would have to face the consequence at school.

Than I gave in a bit, she told me that she wanted to come home and watch T.V. first.

So I just leave her alone and she is more willing in the evening time. I think things wind down at night. There are no cartoons on at night, so what else it there to do??

I hope this helps. Kind of lengthy explanation. :o)

Lexi said...

We actually struggled with this same thing this year. Coming home Haylee was so exhausted and she LOVES her homework, but she didn't want to do it and it would take forever! But I also talked to her teacher about it. She told me to give her some downtime becuase they need that, and then have her sit for 20 minutes, do it and cut her off. She has homework for the whole week and it just has to be done by Monday. She also does homework while I am cooking dinner. She gets home at 330 and then I start dinner about 430. She is more than happy to sit and do her homework at that time. However, I have a no TV until after 5 pm rule, so she has to fill her time with something else, but it is better than fighting with her every night about it.

Anyway, congrats on Emma's grades. They don't do grades here, they do need improvment, displays and consistently displays. But they only give them at the half and end of year marks. THey have conferences on the other two quarters. Haylee is a great student in every area except hand writing. We are looking to get her some extra help for it, but it will probaby wait until after we move. Anyway, congrats again on Emma!!

Trevor and Heather Caffall said...

Anna never had a problem doing her homework, but we figured out really fast that if she didn't get some down time to just chill by herself after school, then things got a little heated. I'm glad you figured out what works with Emma. School is tooo long for these little kids in my opinion!