Saturday, January 24, 2009

One of "Those" Day's...


So, we just need to have "one of those day's" occasionally so we know when we have a great day! Yesterday was "one of those day's"  I woke up a little tired so I was a little cranky, but I can usually keep the crankiness under control.
As I was getting dressed I asked Emma if she could get herself dressed, she was excited to pick out her clothes, so she quickly went into her room, got her shirt on then she stopped.  I asked her at least 4 more time to get her pants on.  She would look at me then continue to do "her" thing.
I asked her why she wont get dressed her reply was that she wanted to write on her chalk board first.  She knew that she needed to get dressed and she just wouldn't.  This was making me so angry.  I kept thinking if she would just listen then we could work as a team.
Finally we got her dressed, fed and out the door.

Still frustrated by her attitude and disrespect.  This is not a problem that just started, she wont listen when it is time to do homework, eat dinner, go to bed, etc..
I went outside to "become one with nature" it usually makes me feel better.  I pulled some weeds in the garden.  David was a great helper.  Jacob thought it was great that there are flowers on the pea plant and pulled one off.  Thankfully he listened when I told him that the flowers stay there. 
 
Found an egg on the ground in the chicken run.  For some reason the last couple of days a chicken wants to lay her eggs outside of the coop.  Can't say that I blame her, she made a nice nesting hole and there is straw in there, it looks so cozy.

I was feeling better, but still on edge so I went to the store to get chocolate... peanut M&M's. One knows that this IS a fix all.  And of course it did work.

At about 1:30, I was just getting started on the dishes.  Jacob was walking towards the house, speaking in baby talk about his hand.  It looked serious, so I closed up the dish washer and and went to help out.  Thinking he was upset because his hands were dirty, I scooped him up and proceeded to clean his hands.
Ohhhh, what is that poking me I thought.  Looking closer I could see all the hair like cactus needles in his hand.  I grabbed the tweezer and sat in the sunniest part of the house, the front door.  He sat still for about 3 minutes.  Then I realized he had a stinky diaper and I also knew that he wouldn't sit still long enough for me to get all of the needles out of his hand.  Changed the diaper, then packed up the kids and went to a neighbors house to get help holding him down.  He sat really well, I mostly needed help holding his hand opened.  It took us at least 10 minutes to get those out.  Upon returning home I went to look at his sweater that he had on before.  It has needles all over it, unbelievable!!

Eat more chocolate... the day will get better!!

Emma gets home, we have a pleasant greeting.  Day seems to be going well.  

Make dinner Mac and Cheese for the kids and burritos for us.  For some reason Emma just doesn't want to sit at the table.  She says that she is not ready to eat.  Pa and I ask her to sit at least 7 times.  One would think that is enough.  Nope she still fights.  Emma runs down the hall, Pa asks her nicely to come sit down and if she doesn't she will not be able to eat.  Emma screamed, "I HATE YOU!"  Whoa--- where did that come from????  She is sent to her room, she fights that.  What is happening I think, this is not MY little girl!

After everyones composure is back, we sit down as a family and talk about what happens when we make choices and that with every choice there will be a consequence, whether good or bad there will be a consequence.  We talked about how we (Ma and Pa) love the kids and that we don't want to do anything that will hurt that.  We talked about how Ma and Pa have a role, that we need to teach the kids, and how important it is for them to listen.  Everyone was in agreement, until Emma decided she was now hungry.  I told her that her consequence for not eating with us is that she can't eat till morning.  Then she kicked me.  Okay, now it is bed time.
After many tears, she finally fell asleep, and I was very surprised that she wasn't crazy hungry this morning.

My heart hurts that she is pushing buttons and that we have to go through such hard ship with her.  I am hopeful that she is learning, and hopeful that she happily learning and not angry.  I think that if she is happily learning the we will have the love and respect that I always dreamed I would have in my family.  Sigh.  -Ma

4 comments:

Lara Neves said...

You're doing a great job, Jenny. If this is the first time she's been acting like this I want to know what you're doing so right! My girls act like this often. But they always shape up when they know we will follow through on the consequences. Just testing the waters I guess. Good luck!

Chandy said...

I agree with Lara, my children have to wait until "3" sometimes to take me seriously. But now, it's somewhat balanced out with "Really,...?" or "the look".

Part of growing up...

You're doing great; I didn't have the heart to do the "no meal" thing, I was always caving in with that. Hang in there...

Christine said...

That's interesting. Hyrum has been fussy too. He's the only one I have in public school right now, and I keep wondering if that's contributing to his fussiness. If so, I feel like I can't really grouch at him for it. It's a struggle, but we do the best we can, right! Good thing we're not in this alone. :) Good luck.

Lexi said...

I am so glad I am not the only one who has "one of those days". I rarely have trouble with haylee, in fact, she is more than I could ever ask for in a helper, but let me tell you... the other 3! Especially Trent, I would love to get in his little head and see what he is thinking sometimes, becuase it is clearly not what I have taught him!