April 30, 2009
Three Bean Pizza that is. And it is so yummy.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (8 ounces) chick-peas, drained and rinsed
1 can (12 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 jar (12 ounces) chunky salsa
1/4 cup chopped cilantro OR: parsley
1 tube (10 ounces) refrigerated pizza dough
4 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese (1 cup)
1. Preheat oven to (425 degrees).
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; saute 3 minutes or until softened. Add garlic; saute 2 minutes. Add black beans, chick-peas, red kidney beans, salsa and cilantro to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the pizza dough for a 12-inch pie according to the package directions.
4. Sprinkle dough with half the cheese. Spoon bean mixture on top of cheese; spread to cover entire surface. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
5. Bake in preheated hot oven (425) for 10 to 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
Our kids don't like beans so this was a tough one to get down their throats. So I made brownies as bribery. Emma has gotten to an age where she is able force food down. David scraped off the top and ate two slices. He was okay with the beans just not the chick-peas. There were a lot of tears with Abby and Jacob just ate the crust.
Our goal is to make one meal a week that isn't liked too much but good for us. I hope the kids get used to these meals soon, so we can eat healthier without much complaint. -Ma
3 comments:
wow this was a great idea! Did you guys like it? I might try this. my kids are actally pretty good about eating healthy food. The only thing I get complaints about usually is brown rice, but even Dave complains about that, so I can see why the kids do lol. Oh yeah, and corn, can you believe it? Corn of all things
Matt and I love it! Brown rice, that is funny. You could get the Basmati rice, it is better than the white rice. I think it taste so much better too. My kids are okay with brown rice. Corn? LOL Really???
That does sound delicious! I love the chickpeas in it, but don't like the black beans, so I'll probably substitute something else. Also, it'll probably be only for me and Charlie. Bribery or not, our children would rather starve, cry or sleep it off. I'm weak I know... But I tend to make two dishes for several meals anyway, so it's our compromise with the kids, at least now, all three like to eat broccoli, artichokes, carrots and corn. I'm the only one who like brown rice around here. I can't stand the smell of Basmati rice; I'm too spoiled from my Jasmine rice. LOL
Post a Comment