Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Chickens and EGGS

About two months ago I noticed that the biggest chicken of the groups was acting very unusual. She was over by the banana trees fluffing her feathers. However I noticed that she was acting stranger than the normal feather fluffing. This is what she would do. It seemed that she was in labor she would fluff then roll to one side then she would fluff and sit up right then fluff and roll to the other side, this went on for a good 10 to 15 minutes. For a while there I thought that she was hurt, so I went over and she appeared to be fine. Now I was thinking that she could possibly lay an egg but at the same time she was so big and the comb on top of her head was so tall we thought that she could have been a rooster.
The next day Pa was outside, he found a beautiful brown egg. And the cool thing is, she didn't lay it under the banana tree she did it in the coop!!! And a cooler thing is, she is a hen not a rooster!!
So, you ask how many eggs do you get a day??? We get 3 eggs a day, once we got 4 but the 4th egg was very small and I think it came from a chicken that was accidentally stepped on as a chick.

Oh, I need to let ya'll know that the fence for the chickens is DONE, there wings have been clipped and the strawberry plants are trying to recuperate. We will probably have to plant more. Oh well, at least they are contained! -Ma

No comments: