Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Skinny

As I was cleaning Emma's room I started to think about something she has been telling me lately.
Emma has a friend at school, her name is Megan, I am not sure what I think of this girl, it seams that Emma plays with her often.
These last few days Emma will just say out of the blue, "I wish I was skinny like Megan."
Shocked I reply, "what are you talking about you are very skinny, you are so skinny your pants have a hard time staying up."
Emma, "I know, but Mmmegann, she is just so skinny." Then she will show me with her hands how skinny she is.
I tell Emma, "Emma, you are beautiful just the way you are. Who says that Megan is so skinny?"
Emma, "Megan says she is skinny."
Me, "Well, I think you are beautiful and perfect in every way!!"

She has also been saying that she is in lovvve with a boy named Jake. This kid is a cute little toe head that was in her class last year. But she says, "I feel like I want to kiss him, I love him so much."

My response, "What??? We don't kiss boys till we are 18, okay???" Emma's answer, "I know mom."

What happened. She is only in 1st grade. These are big things to be talking about, especially the skinniness. One thing I am very thankful for is that we have an open line of communication. I hope we never lose that!! -Ma

3 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Bria has been the same way since first grade, too. It is disconcerting...I think all the media makes kids grow up too fast. As much as I try to protect them from all that, there is still the friend factor. Sigh.

Good luck!

Kendra@My Insanity said...

Hey there! Thanks for finding me. If you want to know more about my family, (not just my crazy ideas) go to my family blog at bnkhalterman.blogspot.com. Good to hear from you!

Chandy said...

Hey Jennyy!

Long time no hear! Yup, a teenager! It sounds like you're having great adventures yourself. Keep in touch! I remember when Jasmine, now 9, thought she wanted to kiss a boy, but good thing she didn't, we still have her in a bubble! :)